Body on, final assembly begins.
Rear Body Mount mod
The Hurricane kit comes with the body “hard-mounted” on the rear. The quickjack mounts and tubes sandwich the fiberglass body to clamp it to position. I was concerned this was a long term failure point. I chose to modify the mounting to incorporate rubber bushings.
Once the hole location was verified, I opened the hole thru the body to 5/8″ diameter. I then fabricated rubber bushings to make up the space between the 3/8″ bolt and this new hole size. The bushing was 1″ diameter on the outside and held into position with stainless washers.
I’ve included some pictures of the completed parts. The new pieces, in sequence are:
|1. 5 1/2″ long stainless stud, threaded both ends
||2. Hex Nut
||3. Flat Washer
||4. Vertical mounting bar of frame
|5. Flat Washer
||6. Spacer with stainless sleeve
||7. Flat Washer
||8. Rubber bushing
||10. Rubber bushing with step
||11. Flat Washer
||12. Spacer with stainless sleeve
|13. Flat washer
||14. Quick Jack
||15. Flat Washer
||16. Hex Nut
The original Hurricane kit includes carpeting for the trunk. But I chose to go one step further. I’d seen original cars with their aluminum trunks. Cool. But the aluminum trunk does create a maintenance problem. If you use the car, the trunk will get scratches. I saw how Jim Reiss modified his car during the rebuild and an idea hit. How about aluminum walls with carpet on the floor.
First hiccup was the back wall of the trunk. Remember that note I said about planning your build? Well I didn’t plan far enough ahead since the cockpit tub was mounted and somehow, I had to get aluminum on that vertical surface. With some judicious grinding, I was able to slip a flat sheet of aluminum between the lip on the cockpit tube and the 2 x 2 frame that anchors the seatbelts. The edges are back behind the vertical frame pieces and not visible. Dodged a bullet there!
The side walls were made from .025 thick aluminum sheet, formed to fit over the fiberglass trunk tub. With proper layout and bending, I was able to glue the panels to the tub with floor tile glue. My bulb seal still slipped down over the walls like was planned.
My painter seals the inside of the body with paint before delivering the car. I had him spray the inside with silver. Now the inner walls of the trunk body match the aluminum pieces I put on. Well, not an exact match but a lot closer than the black would have been.
After the body was on, I started carpeting the floor. My first experience with laying automobile carpet. With the glue they recommended, I looked like a big fuzz ball. My hands were covered with glue and pile.
To help with fitting, I built a pattern from heavy construction paper, all taped together and with the edges touching where I wanted the carpet to stop.